Tuesday, December 23, 2008

fishing experience




One of Sarawak resources is the natural resources like agricultural products. Kampung (village) Buntal near Damai Beach and ‘My Village Barok’ restaurant near the waterfront’ are two of the ‘hidden’ treasures for ‘food hunters’ in Kuching.

However, fresh water fish like the Keli and Talapia as known by the local can be easily found here in Kuching. Hence, I went to Kampung Sundoh (hope that my spelling is correct) at the outskirt of Kuching for a fishing experience.

The fresh water pond is beside paddy fields at the foot of a hill. We have to park our car at the main road and have to trek on foot another 10 minutes. The pond gets its continuous water resources from a river which flows from the hill. There surrounding area of the paddy fields and the fish pond is full of fruit trees like the Durian and the Rambutan. I have got the time to check out the fruit trees and the paddy field but I got an invitation to come during the harvest time. It is something that I am looking forward to. The scenery is breathtaking and the air is so fresh even at 3pm.

I caught four ‘medium size’ tilapia fish. Not bad for a beginner huh! You need to be patient and hope that the fish will take the bait. The photo on the left shows Jass showing off one of his catch of the day. The photo on top is me waiting patiently for my first catch. It is interesting to see others make it look so easy. At 5pm it is time to pack up and call it a day. The task of the getting all the fish to the car is equally hard. However, I enjoy the experience and hope to return during the harvest month.

No comments: