Wednesday, May 27, 2009


On the last day of my trip to Sabah, we had a few more hours before our flight back to Kuala Lumpur. The ladies decided to spend the remaining hours raiding the Philippine market. I am too tired to join them so I spend my time sitting at a bench by the roadside writing my journal. In between, I had to waived away some ‘weird guys’ selling Ray Ban and watches. Few ‘tailors kiosk’ can be seen along the walkways. The sewing machines are from the old model. My mum has a similar sewing machine; now used as a ‘semi interior décor’.

The ‘weird guys’ selling Ray Ban and watches is not giving up easily until they get their buyers. I wonder whether their merchandises are genuine or fake. I over heard that they are selling a watch at a price as low as RM8. I saw one Kelantanese buying a watch from the seller and I hope he bought it at a good price (I doubt if there is any after sales service)

Few locals are playing chess at the walkways and it became some sort of entertainment. I guess that there are Kasparov hidden even at Kota Kinabalu. Some of the Ray Ban and watchers sellers also spend their lunch time playing chess. They are holding their merchandise at one hand and move their ‘army’ with the other hand; the same hand that holds their cigarettes.

I was at the bench long enough to observe the mini buses passing by. The number of passengers is less than a quarter of the available seat. Maybe it is a non peak hours. The traffic is quite heavy though may not as heavy as in Kuala Lumpur. The ‘Kuala Lumpur disease’ had found its way here. I guess Malaysian love to guzzle on petrol. I do not think it is too late to device a good public transportation in KK. Sabah should maintain its tagline as ‘Land below the Wind’ and not “Land within CO2’. Just let the honor goes to KL.

No comments: