Friday, January 23, 2009

river of life


The water of Batang Lupar (Lupar River) flows melancholically from the mountains to the sea. It is a bit muddied after the rain but still can support the lives along the river. Batang Lupar was (and still famous) for the crocodiles that inhabited the river. Once in a while, there are sighting of this ‘predator’ at Batang Lupar.

I attended a funeral at one of the village at Sri Aman located at the riverbank of Batang Lupar River. At the time I arrived at the village, villagers, friends and families are in the midst of making preparations for the funeral the next day. The somber atmosphere can be felt the moment I enter the house.

The river is a reflection of our life in this world. It started flowing from the day we was born and ends when it reaches the sea. In our journey, we touches the lives that is connected to ours. We have a choice whether to benefit or to destroy the lives along our odyssey to the sea.
Perhaps, as we managing the sinuosity of our lives, we should not forget our duty as the ‘khalifah’ or God’s servants in this world. Are we only duty bound to make our own life better or we supposed to make this world a better place?

As they lowering down the coffin into the grave I had this question hammering my mind over and over again. I cannot even convince myself that I had done a good job as God’s servant. As I watched the river flow, I wonder how much time I have to discharge the duty given to me as servants before it ends.

No comments: